Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hey Tut, you can't take it with you

Okay, so I was doing the dishes, and I was thinking about how lucky I am that I have people that help so much with my kids, and so that has made it feasible that I wouldn't drown our family by staying home instead of working this past year,

But tonight I was talking with Duke about an article I'm currently reading in National Geographic about King Tut and his mummy relatives, and some of them thought they were real live Gods, and so they built these giant pyramids and filled them with riches and dead bodies and internal organs in embalming jars or whatever, and they had SO much and all they did with it was rich folk stuff. Okay, I don't think everyone should give their wealth to charity, but there are people out there who are really, truly embracing the philosophy of you can't take it with you. They are helping look for cures for malaria and AIDS and cancer, and if everyone who had wealth, all the way back to King Tut, felt a personal obligation to their fellow man... what would things be like today? I am the queen of saying I don't have enough, and I know things have been pretty tight considering I haven't worked in a while, but I had my unemployment for a while and I have family that, not only makes sure the girls are living comfortably, they have bent over backwards to show generosity to my kids, and they have encouraged the girls to have an open, caring, charitable attitude towards the world. The girls took Watotoo boxes to my in-laws church last Christmas, and they had a ball picking out toys to give to children in Africa, which they bought with the money from their piggy-banks. We're running out of room in the piggy banks again and I was trying to help Francie decide who to give to besides the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. And she was so excited about the ideas I threw out, just off the top of my head. She loves giving things!

So I'm just feeling really grateful for the ways I have been blessed, with family, children, a not-perfect-but still- functioning planet to hand over to the next generation, and so I always feel like I should be giving more to the world. But I guess, as long they learn these morals, I am giving what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment